13 things that are different now than when I was a kid:
1- the telephone is not hooked to the wall. I remember the first cordless phone our family got. It was soooo cool. I liked having it in my room, even for just a little while, it made me feel like I had my own phone.
2- coke in glass bottles. I still remember the very tall glass coke bottles that my parents used to drink. They would collect them in those cardboard carriers and take them to be recycled.
3- Speaking of coke bottles, the term coke bottle glasses is also a thing of the past. Not only would my children not know what I am talking about, but glasses are much nicer these days and they can do wonders for those of us who would have had coke bottle glasses back then.
4- 8 track tapes - We used to have an 8 track tape player. We had a great selection of music too. From the Muppet's to the Oakridge Boys from ABBA to Crystal Gale, we were pretty cool rocking out to these fine tunes.
5- Record players - Gone are the days of scratched records and scratched records and scratched records and scratched records and scratched records, sorry my record was stuck. My parents were big John Denver fans. One day my Dad brought home a new John Denver record and while the kids were dancing around to it one of us jumped a little too excitedly. The record skipped and then left a scratch on my dad's brand new John Denver record.
6- Electric Company. This was very fine entertainment for a young child. Do you still remember the theme song? "Heeeyyy yooouuu guuuuyyyss!" Although this is apparently now available on DVD, so I guess our children still can experience this show for themselves.
7- Riding in a car with no seat belts. Those were the days. Little did we know that our lives were in great peril. I was too busy sleeping on the floor of the car or curled up in the back window watching the road as we drove on and on to realize that my life was in danger.
8- Video games- Yes I know that some of these games are still around or have made a comeback, but it's not quite the same. We spent hours playing Frogger and watching the frog splat on the road when it got run over. Then there was Pac Man. And don't forget Space Invaders and Asteroids.
9- Alf. Need I say more?
10- Commercials. Gone are the days of taking a break from TV watching during the commercials. With cool gadgets like Tiv0 and DVR commercials are a thing of the past. But look at what their missing.
11- My children will probably never have the opportunity to ride in a station wagon. Poor things.

12- Speaking of riding in cars, my children will never have to worry about spending long boring hours in the car with nothing to do. They don't even have to use their imagination or play silly games like the alphabet game. No, they can watch TV not only at home but, on their cell phone and even in the car. Which leads me to....
13- My children will never know life before ip0ds, play stations, teh internets (thank you Father Al), cell phones, DVD's, high definition TV, etc. etc. I still remember our first microwave, our first computer and our first VCR. We've come a long way!


17 people have something to say:
This is a great post! And I love that commercial by the way. Classic.
Some more things our kids won't know about:
- Half day kindergarten
- Hand-written letters (unless they are good mail girls like you)
- Not having a computer or the internet
- The smell of those copied papers from school off of a mimeograph machine. Do you remember those?
- Using tapes rather than CDs or Ipods and having to REWIND them to hear your favorite song again.
I'm sure there are more!
What a great post. So many things that they will not know about. (Do they even teach kids how to tell time anymore???) In a few years will people ever use cameras with film? I laughed at the riding in the car without seat belts--I remember my 5 sisters and I riding in the back of the truck. My dad put a mattress back there and we road everywhere and never gave it a thought. Loved the Michael J. Fox commercial--that was fun.
Thanks.
Thanks for the blast from the past! It's fun to remember the things we did and had as kids....sheesh, I feel old now. :)
I really liked this post!!
I LOVED listening to my parents collections of old 45s!! And my Strawberry Shortcake workout record.
We have a plug in Frogger game, but it's just not the same as Atari.
Remember how big VCRs used to be??
fun post. My kids were shocked when they found out I remembered the day we got color tv. We were the last family to get it in the free world but still I reemmber.
I can remember a world without the internet...and do you remember the first cell phones? Those huge boxy things from the 80s that only the ultra-rich seemed to have? (I only ever saw them in the movies.) In the next twenty years, what else is going to come up to drastically change our lives? Crazy.
My children will never have the joy of watching the Muppet Show on Sunday night.. poor things.
Great post. I Love the Micheal J. Fox commercial it's a classic.
Ditto's to all the above comments! This post was Gnarly, and 80's term that our children will never hear;)
I once told my daughter she sounded like a broken record, then asked if she had any idea what I was talking about. She did not.
Our children will barely know what a checkbook is. I used one at the store about a year ago, and it really threw the young cashier for a loop.
I related to so many things on this post!!!
We had a brown station wagon that 9 of us were crammed in and we certainly had no form of entertainment, other than ourselves!
My parents had an ABBA and Muppets 8 track too! I absolutely loved Frogger and Ms. Pac Man and Pole Position too.
Such good memories and yes, our kids will never know them. Hopefully, they will have fond memories too! :)
Back then, they didn't have spoke guards on bicycles to protect kids riding in the seat behind the parents. You should see the NASTY scar I have from getting my leg caught in a bike as a toddler.
My kids will never have to flip through a card catalogue file to find their library books.
Now, they can download music for a buck......instead of waiting for their favorite song to come on the radio so they can rush over with their cassette tape player and record a really crappy version of it. I used to do that all the time.
The post, the comments, the day. Yes back in the day as my AJ phrases it. I remember saving my $3.15/hour minimum wage to buy my S0ny w@lkman that played cassettes. Those same cassettes that I recorded off the radio so I could have my favorite songs along with the DJ talking over the beginning music.
"Those were the days."
*picture Edith from All in the Family singing that*
mary: Great ones too! Yes, I remember those copiers. I remember helping my parents on Sundays make copies for the sacrament meeting program.
yvonne: We used to ride in the back of my dad's truck too. We saw a guy standing up in the back of a truck while driving the other day. One of my children was shocked, "Look mom, he's not safe!"
deanne: I feel old too! :D
Tori: Yes, our VCR was HUGE! And the remote control had a cord! lol
txmommy: Our kids really have no idea do they! :)
wynne: It will be interesting, exciting and slightly frightening to see what the future has in store for us.
carronin: I loved the muppet show! :D
suzanne: Can you imagine making our kids squish in a car like that now. They'd freak! :)
elastic: Yikes! That musta hurt! Do they still teach the dewey decimal system in school anymore? I was the same way with recording songs off the radio!
kayelyn: Yes, back in the day! I remember how excited we were when we bought a car that had a cassette player in it! :)
Deanne took my comment.
PJ's broken record, hahahaha!
This is an excellent post. Back in '83 I had this cordless headphones (radio am/fm), they were huge! I wish I had a picture, those things were so ridiculuos :P
Ok, let us know when you finish the Bella/Edward/Jake Saga and we'll be nerds together ;)
Oakridge Boys AND John Denver - we could be cousins!
I have my mom's old John Denver tape (not as old as a record or 8-track, though)
Ghetto Blasters.
That's all I can think of...
NCS: I bet those were pretty cool! I'm done with all of them. I read them all in 2 weeks.
Wendy: Country cousins! lol Ghetto blasters, I forgot about those!
I love this post. My hubby and I say things like this to our kids all the time-especially how they aren't bored in the car!
LOL to Elastic's comment about recording songs off the radio with the cassette player! I did this and then listened to Journey in the back of a hatchback toyota carolla, driving from Houston to my grandparents in NJ. I was in 8th or 9th grade.
GREAT post. I may have to copy this one.
Post a Comment