We are suffering from the breakfast duldrums at our house. With my focus on trying to eat healthy we have elminated certain cereals from our house. Though there are a lot of yummy and healthy breakfast cereals to choose from, they can be more expensive than the bags of not so healthy sugary cereals. I try to buy the good stuff when it is on sale. The problem is we are getting tired of cereal. You can only eat so much cereal before it gets really old, especially when your choices are limited.
Time has also been a problem. I refused to get up before 6:30 and between getting the kids ready for school and getting Megan and myself ready to go to the gym after dropping the kids off at school, there wasn't much time left for making breakfast. So we've been eating a lot of cereal. Now that the kids are riding the bus I HAVE to get up at 6:00 and I have plenty of time after the kids get on the bus to get ready to go to the gym. So now there is time to make a quick breakfast. Quick being the key word here because I refuse to get up before 6:00. lol
So I am asking for your help. What do you eat for breakfast? Do you have any fun and quick recipes that work for your family? Maybe something that you can prepare the night before? Thanks in advance for your ideas.
Thursday, March 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


13 people have something to say:
Here's some things we like. not that they may be all that healthy. Muffins, porridge, breakfast burritos, breakfast pizza, eggs of any kind, pancakes, hash browns, smoothies, yogurt with granola (homemade granola).
Hope that helps.
We try to do different things for breakfast too, but I don't know if they are quick.
Pancakes, french toast, cheese toast, breakfast burritos, eggs, muffins (that one you can make the night before), oatmeal. I hope it helps!
I go for easy. Recently I've been buying muffins from Costco (do you have one near you?). They are ginormous and it does not require me to prepare anything! If you don't have a Costco, you could make some muffins and tuck them away to ensure they are only eaten for breakfast.
Sorry, that's all I got for ya!
I make pancakes by the dozens and freeze them. You can warm a few up at a time in the microwave. That's my daughter's favorites. I'm a big fan of Eggo waffles and yogurt myself...
I'm like you and would rather sleep!
I only do "hot" breakfasts on weekends. When we get tired of cereal on weekdays, I'll buy a loaf of cinnamon bread to make toast. We also like to do bagels with cream cheese, cereal mixed with yogurt instead of milk, or toasted English muffins. Good luck! :D
We do smoothies a lot with frozen strawberries, bananas, splenda and milk. It's quick and easy sugar free and yummy.
We do smoothies a lot with frozen strawberries, bananas, splenda and milk. It's quick and easy sugar free and yummy.
Yay! I actually have a contribution (this is so weird): eggs (w/ham, w/bacon, sunny side up, Texas style) and chocolate milk, on Thursdays it's oatmeal and Fridays is "Waffle Friday", I make them.
I am not a morning person at all, but I have always felt that my kids needed a good breakfast . I am not a good cook and I know most of the time they'll get a "fake" dinner, and that’s sad.
andrea: Breakfast burritos, that sounds yummy. All your ideas sound good.
utmommy: I really like muffins. I'll have to make them the night before.
deanne: No we don't have a Costco, but we do have a sam's club. We used to get those huge muffins when I was in high school. Yummy!
tori: I didn't think about making extra and freezing them! :D
suzanne: Glad to know I am not the only one that prefers sleep over making breakfast! I like the cinnamon bread idea, maybe with smoothies. Yummy!!
caronin: double yummy! :D
NCS: I agree. I feel a good breakfast is really important. I just struggle getting up any earlier than I have to. Great idea to have specific days for foods. I'm sure whatever you may lack in cooking abilities you way exceed in being an awesome mom! Your kids are lucky!
I did an online search today and found a recipe for a crockpot breakfast. I am going to try it tonight for tomorrow. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Kashi makes blueberry waffles that are like eggo waffles (put in the toaster), but are whole grain and healthier for you. My kids love them!
We have been keeping a bit of waffle mix ready in the fridge for mornings. Waffles are my daughter's favorite food and I just don't feel like making the mix every morning, so I make extra and then just have to pour it in the waffle iron in the morning.
Have you seen those Sandwich bag omlets? You mix the eggs/milk, pour them in ziplocks and have each kid add their own ingredients (cheese, ham, peppers, etc) then boil them until they are done. Pour them out and instant omelet! I have never tried it and am sure there is a recipe out there somehwere, but they sound fun.
Also, you can make and then freeze breakfast burritos in advance and then pull them out and heat them each day.
This morning my husband was home during breakfast time and he made us breakfast sandwiches - scrambled eggs, bacon, cheese on a roll. Way fancier than we get during the week, but yummy!
My dad made big breakfasts for us every morning. I am a slacker, and my two little ones think breakfast = cold cereal. In fact, Emily gets mad if I make eggs and don't let her eat a bowl of rice crispies, too.
So, I set out bowls and spoons and all the cereal and let the kids pick. I also usually have bananas toast or bagels available if they want (mine like cinnamon sugar on the toast, and cream cheese on the bagels.) Once in a while I'll scramble eggs. But not more than twice a week.
That's all. I think they'll survive.
Pancakes and bacon are reserved for dinner or conference weekend.
Post a Comment