I read a book a while back by Emily Watts called Take Two Chocolates and Call Me in the Morning. One of the chapters in the book is called "Quit trying to finish the laundry". In it she talks about how there are tasks such as laundry and house cleaning and meal preparation that we simply must do everyday or at least several times a week. There is no way we will ever "finish" the laundry. There will always be clothes to wash. Our kids are never going to say stop making me dinner so I don't have to eat ever again. The house is always going to get dusty and dirty no matter how often we clean. Her point was that if we change our outlook, if we change the way we view those seemingly mundane and arduous tasks we can begin to see what a blessing it is in our lives as women and mothers to be able to do those things every-single-day. She says, "Cooking and cleaning and laundry are simply the foundation stones that support the enormous pile of blessings that my family enjoys.
I'd like to take her thoughts one step further. What if we viewed our life, our progression, our growth in this same manner? What if we changed the way we viewed those things? I often times beat myself up over making the same mistakes or doing the same wrong thing over and over despite my best efforts and desires not to. Why? Why do we keep having to work at it? Why can't we just become able to do everything we want to do in the manner that we want to do it? For one, that is not our purpose here. We are here to learn and grow from those mistakes that we make. For another, we are not perfect. In a sense our spiritual laundry is never done. As soon as we overcome one weakness or challenge in our life another one will surface. As soon as we get rid of one bad habit another will rear its ugly head. As soon as we improve in one area, we will soon be made aware of another area that desperately needs our attention. Rather then expecting to perfect ourselves all in one big step and be done with it, we must take several little steps to get us to that point.
Perhaps this is all old information or something that you all get already, but this is something that I have to constantly remind myself of. I have to stop beating myself up and realize that it is okay if I slip or stumble. It is okay if I did the same dumb thing today that I did yesterday and the day before. I am trying and I am seeing improvement and change in my life. I may not be doing that same dumb thing that I struggled with last year at this time or even two years ago.
This life is a journey. We will not reach our destination in this life. Our laundry will not be finished in this life. That may seem depressing to some to look at it that way, but to me it is comforting. To know that I don't have to do it all right now, nor do I have to do it all right right now, is very comforting. I can take baby step after tedious baby step to get me to my final destination and hopefully enjoy the journey along the way.
Friday, November 17, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 people have something to say:
What a great post!!! Well said and thank you!
I often tell my hubby that he will have to wait a lifetime for some things because that's how slowly I'm changing for the better. But, I'm changing and it's progress.
Bad habits are hard to break, especially when we've done them our entire lives. I'm grateful that I don't have to have all my "laundry" done in one day.
I feel really inspired now to not give up, even though my progress is slow.
Your last sentence said it best:
"I can take baby step after tedious baby step to get me to my final destination and hopefully enjoy the journey along the way."
P.S. I think it was Erma Bombeck that said, "Unless you're standing in front of the dryer naked, your laundry is never done!" ;)
Very thoughtful, Amanda. I am like the dirty missing sock girl. Still got some work to do! But how boring would it be to always be prefect-o-mundo?
I like this quote from Anne of Green Gables: Next to trying and winning, the best thing is trying and failing.
THANK YOU! When I was growing up, my mother tried to instill this very simple lesson in my head, but I never picked it up...until now! :) Life's a journey...we just have to keep going and fixing as we go along!
What a nice post. There is so much to learn and do, it is nice that there's always tomorrow to try again, and again.
I also looove this post. Thanks for putting things in the proper perspective. I really needed it today! ~hugs~
I'm finally realizing the same things. It's hard to do everything all the time. If we just do one thing at a time and get it done, then we will feel like we ARE accomplishing something instead of seeing all the unfinished things.
Beautiful. I needed this one.
This is my laundry room right now. If it is any indicator of my spirituality, I'm in trouble.
I love thise thank you. I love the foundation idea!
Amanda, what a beautiful post. This is actually something I have been thinking about alot lately. I always thought that I'd have certain things nailed down before I got to certain stages in my life. But, here I am and I have three children and been married almost 10 years, and still am no where near the type of mother and wife that I would like to.
To me, it's so frustrating. Thank for for putting a postive spin on it.
Wow. what a great post. I really needed to hear that this week as I look around and see so many things that are never truly done. It's nice to be reminded to take baby steps and enjoy the journey. Thanks so much.
Post a Comment