I don't know if anyone else watched the "Last Days on Earth" TV special on abc last night. Boy was it depressing. Now not only do I need to worry about terrorism and the threat of chemical or biological weapons, and global warming not to mention west nile virus or SARS or super bugs that are untreatable by antibiotics (No, I am not a germa phobe, I just worry sometimes about the germs that keep getting passed around and mutating and growing and changing and getting stronger and more resistant and........). Now I guess I have even more to worry about like asteroids hitting the earth, a black hole sucking up the planet earth, or a gamma ray explosion burning up the earth.
This TV special was about 7 possible scenarios that could lead to or cause the end of the world as we know it. One of them dealt with a "super volcano". They described one that could explode under Yellowstone National Park. In fact they said, "Scientists estimate that the Yellowstone area will experience a supervolcano eruption approximately once every 600,000 years. The last one occurred more than 630,000 years ago". So I guess we are due to have one at any moment. Hmmmm, isn't that encouraging. They described how within days the entire country, at least those that survived the massive 8 feet high drifts of ash and suffocating gas fumes, would be pummeled back into living conditions similar to the 19th century without technology and life as we know it. I don't know about you, but I personally like technology, not to mention fresh running water, clean air etc.
Anyone else depressesd? Okay, snap out of it. I don't put a whole lot of stock in what all these people were talking about. I did find it interesting though. I know that some of these threats are in fact real and must be dealt with and I don't mean to make light of them, but I am not going to panic.
Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 people have something to say:
Thanks for visiting my blog! I checked out the funny faces and LOVED them! :)
I refused to watch that show...I'm to paranoid anyway!
Oh wow. Glad I missed that one! :)
I'm a worrywart too. I figure the less I know the better!
That kind of stuff is just WAY too much for me. Seriously, I avoid the speculative news if I can help it at all. Why worry about tomorrow's problems today. If we're all swallowed up by a volcano, we won't know about it anyway, right?
Definitely up my husband's alley, and not at all up mine. I don't enjoy those things, mostly because I worry too much as it is!
Post a Comment