CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, November 15, 2008

Today I am thankful for good books and good friends. This morning we had book club at my good friend Kendra's house with some of my other good friends, Lani, Amy, Mary, Amanda (not me, a different one) and Kendra. We discussed this book. I've really enjoyed reading books by Merrilee Boyack and this one was just as good as the others. As women we really do carry so much guilt over things often beyond our control. Her book helped to put things into perspective as well as pointing out some ways that we can get rid of some of the guilt that we carry in our lives. I highly recommend this book to everyone. In fact, if I had the money, I would buy one and send it to all the women I know. It is that good. I plan on re-reading it, as soon as I get it back from my the person I loaned it too.

Today I am also thankful for good friends. Some of you may know that I have been attempting to go 21 days without sweets. This includes candy, chocolate, cookies, sugary drinks and other sugary items. Earlier this year I went 3 months without chocolate. That was nothing compared to this. At least then I could still eat something sweet. I do admit that I have cheated a little. I have had hot chocolate twice, but can you blame me with the snow and wind we've had? I've also had rootbeer and sprite one time each. And, I also indulged a little in jello salad that was really more like a dessert. But I have not had any chocolate, candy, cookies or cake for 15 days, and to me that is quite an accomplishment. Just today I had to turn down pumpkin pie and birthday cake. :(

Where the good friends come in is, I would not have done this without the support and encouragement of my good friends. Some of them have been suffering near death going without right along with me. Others I am sure are wondering what motivates a person to go without such treasures in life, by choice. At times I have wondered this myself. Nonetheless, thank you to my friends for your support and encouragement and for rolling your eyes at me when I'm not looking. ;)

14 people have something to say:

Yvonne said...

We haven't had book club here for so long. I really enjoy getting together with friends and discuss a good read. I can't get the link to work--computer is a little slow, so I'll have to check it out.

I, too, am grateful for good friends. It's nice when you feel the love and support of friends. I have tried to stay with you, but I'm just not as strong. You do know I'm supporting you, though ; )

One more week for you--a whole lot more for me.

Unknown said...

We don't have book club here, but I love them. Enjoy them a lot.

It's neat that you have been so successful at your sugarless goal. That is great.

Don't you love having those good friends to support you. That is just neat.

Phae-Jae said...

Good friends and a good book are the spice of life!

congrats on making it this far. You are a strong woman:)

Super Happy Girl said...

Oh no, not the pie and the cake!
Oh well, it's ok, later you'll be patting yourself for making the right desicion.

Yay for good friends and good books!

Lani said...

Good job Amanda, less than a week to go! I had the same thought about wishing I could send the book to all the women I know. Hope to see you at the gym tomorrow!

Suzanne said...

Amanda, you are amazing! I don't think there is anyway that I could do what you're doing! I'll have to check out that book. It sounds really good! :)

Jen said...

Good job Amanda! I don't know how you do it because someone would have to pay me big bucks for suffering the way you are! You have some serious self control. I'll check out that book you mentioned...is it any better than the one about strangling your husband? I kept reading that book only because people were saying it was so great now I just want to burn it because it never got good! I do admit there were some parts that were okay. How's the 3rd Ward treating you?

Tori :) said...

You are doing so awesome with the sugar. Way to go!!

Juli said...

I'll have to read that book, sounds like it was really good.

Teresa said...

You are my hero! I can't go 2 hours without something sweet!! I wish I had your will power, you must share your secret with me. Come visit my blog anytime

Lisa said...

It is hard not to cheat! Just yesterday I ate some M&M's. Sometimes, though, I feel like it wasn't worth it. Somethings just aren't as good to eat as they sound. You are doing awesome!

nikko said...

Wow. No sugar would be tough. Worth it maybe, but tough!

wendy said...

Fun book club! I am enjoying this sugar-free thing. I feel a little bit empowered by it. I'm glad you wrote about it so I could copy you. I kind of feel like not eating sugar has made me not have the crazy cravings I was having in the afternoons. Yesterday was a thanksgiving dinner at Nathan's work, and I said no to pie and cake and cookies and candied yam. I was only sad about the candied yams....next week...

So, keep up the good work!

Mary Peterson said...

Amanda,
I am so proud of you! Thanks for being such a great friend to me. You are an amazing person and a great example to me.