CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, July 21, 2008

4th of July camping

I never had a chance to post about our camping trip over the 4th of July because I left for Utah the day after we got back. So here it is........


We went camping at Sheirdan Lake with our good friends Nic and Kendra and their kids. We had never camped for that many days with our kids and I was worried at first, but it was a lot of fun. We got to the campsite Wednesday night barely in time for a yummy dinner and to get our tent up before it got dark.
Thursday Nic had to drive into town for work and Scott took the kids for a "hike". It was more like a nature walk around the campground. Scott had each of them bring back a treasure from their walk. It was so cute to see what each of them found. Kaylynn grabbed the biggest rock she could carry and brought it back to our campsite. Upon further investigation we discovered an arrow on one side of the rock. Hopefully the people that were looking for the rock marked with an arrow were able to find their way. lol

Later that day the kids went swimming while Kendra and I watched. It was far too cold for us to brave the water, but the kids didn't seem to mind. I forgot to bring my camera down to the lake and it was too far to walk back to get it.....so imagine a really cute picture of 7 kids splashing and playing in the water.......

Thursday night (July 3rd) was the fireworks at Mount Rushmore. We braved a crowd of 30,000+ people to go and watch for ourselves. Nic and Scott dropped all of us off at their usual spot, while they drove to find a parking spot.

While we waited for it to get dark we were privileged to have a flyby from a B2 Bomber. It was rather impressive. That was until later when a B1 Bomber flew over us with full after burner. Ellsworth Air Force base is located just outside of Rapid City and is home to the B1 Bomber. Our friend Nic is stationed at Ellsworth and several of our friends are B1 pilots. So when the B1 flew by we were all super impressed. Unfortunately it came too fast and it was too dark for a picture to turn out. If you are really interested and want to know what it was like you can watch this video. (It is only 20 seconds long - Embedding was disabled).


The fireworks were awesome, definitely worth the wait and the 2 mile walk back to the car.

Friday Nic and Scott took the kids fishing/swimming/hiking. They left Kendra and I behind for a little R & R. Kendra took a nap while I read New Moon. Nothing like kicking back enjoying nature while reading about vampires and werewolves. ;)
Now for a couple of random pictures:
Megan really enjoyed her s'more

Jordan and Scott near our spot to watch the fireworks. Aren't the black hills pretty?

A look at our campsite


It was so much fun that we just might have to try it again next year!

11 people have something to say:

utmommy said...

I love camping!! It would be so fun to do it over the fourth. It looks beautiful.

Sorry I missed you, while you were here. Hopefully next time I'll be able to see you.

Mary Peterson said...

Hi Amanda!
Glad to have you back. Your camping trip sounded like so much fun! We have been here for 5 years and have yet to see the fireworks at Mount Rushmore. I'm jealous.

Remind me to tell you about the leather jackets and motorcycle helmets. It's a funny story. My sister and I do pretty crazy things.

Suzanne said...

How fun! I love to go camping. It looks so beautiful there! I'm glad you went to the fireworks. Was it seriously 2 miles back to the car??? Wow...

Lana said...

that looks like so much fun! Now I want to go camping :)

Anonymous said...

Ohhh that looks like fun. I love camping too and I missed out on the last family camping trip, good thing we get to do it next weekend. It looks like you guys had a lot of fun.

Tori :) said...

I'm not a big camper, but you made it look fun!

carrie said...

That's what I'll be doing next week. Good times. I heard a rumor you're coming to Oregon in August, is it true, please let it be true.

Super Happy Girl said...

W00T! Awesome :D
Love the fireworks and the B2.

Oh and that s'more pic? Yeah, that's going to be you and me in just a few weeks!!!!!

Amanda said...

utmommy: I am so sad that I was not able to see you when I was in Utah. :( For sure next time!

mary: You will have to go next year. They are really neat! I am dying to hear the story behind the leather jackets and the motorcycles! :)

suzanne: I may be exagerating a tiny bit. Maybe it was only 1 1/2 miles back. ;) It was still a long walk.

txmommy: It was soooo much fun!

shawna: Sometime we'll have to come down for the M_____ reunion and go camping with you guys! :)

tori: I have had no desire to go camping in the past with the kids. It always seemed like so much work, but it really was a lot of fun!

carronin: Have a great time!!! And yes, you heard correctly. I've totally gone off the deep end....

NCS: I can't wait! :)

Lani said...

Sounds like a great camping experience! Glad you're back home again.

wendy said...

Camping in the black hills! That's awesome! What a fun family trip!